The rules for transferring certification from one CB to another are laid out in the IAF Mandatory Document MD2:2007. Transfer of certification is defined as the “recognition of an existing and valid management system certification, granted by one accredited certification body, (hereinafter referred to as current CB), by another accredited certification body, (hereinafter referred to as the “accepting CB”) for the purpose of issuing its own certification.”
Here are the steps a certified recycler must follow in order to transfer a valid R2 certificate from a recycler’s current CB to a new CB:
- Recycler should inform current CB and SERI of transfer as soon as the contract is finalized with accepting CB.
- The accepting CB will ask the recycler for the documentation necessary to conduct a pre-transfer review. This includes a review of the R2 management system documentation to ensure that the recycler’s certificate is in good standing and can be transferred successfully.
- If the pre-transfer review is completed successfully with no outstanding issues, the accepting CB will issue a certificate. The expiration date of the certificate will be identical to the one on the original certificate issued by the previous CB – unless the accepting CB has conducted a new recertification audit.
- The accepting CB must send a copy of the certificate to SERI.
- SERI will update its database and website with the new certificate.
- Ongoing surveillance will continue based on the program established for the previous certification regime – unless the accepting certification body has conducted a new or recertification audit.