Apply by May 6, 2019
IT Manager - Sustainable Electronics Recycling International (SERI)
Sustainable Electronics Recycling International (SERI) is an established and financially stable non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. SERI’s mission is to help create a world where electronic products are reused and recycled in a way that promotes resource preservation, the well-being of the natural environment, and the health and safety of workers and communities. SERI does this primarily through its administration of the R2 (Responsible Recycling) Certification Program – a global voluntary certification program for the safe and sustainable reuse and recycling of electronic equipment and components. Today, there are more than 850 R2 certified facilities operating in 35 countries.
Overview of the Position:
The IT Manager will be responsible for all aspects of Information Technology used by SERI. This includes, but is not limited to SalesForce, Office 365, ChainPoint, Google, LinkedIn, and SERI’s website. The IT Manager in a small organization like SERI is expected to be well rounded with the ability to troubleshoot technical problems, analyze business processes to integrate technology, build solutions, automate workflows, and lead with IT vision. The IT Manager will interface with various third parties and consultants to develop and maintain SERI’s IT framework.
This position requires a person with a technical aptitude who can plan and troubleshoot technical issues in a variety of software applications. While technical aptitude is a must, communication and coordination with users and third party providers is also needed. The person hired for this role will be well rounded and expected to grow into a visionary leader for SERI to innovate the way in which SERI delivers on its mission.
SERI currently has a staff of five employees, as well as a few consultants. The staff and consultants are all based in different parts of the United States and Canada. The successful candidate will be independent and comfortable working in this “virtual” organization, and working some non-traditional hours as is necessary to communicate with people in different time zones and parts of the world. This position offers some flexibility in work hours provided the job functions and interaction with others can be successfully performed.
Work from home is necessary with adequate work space, Internet and phone connectivity to perform the job. This is planned as a full-time position, but SERI will consider other arrangements. As a small nonprofit organization, SERI is able to offer a lot of flexibility to the right candidate. This position reports directly to SERI’s Executive Director.
The following outlines the primary areas of responsibility. Additional responsibilities or functions may be required as necessary to support the organization.
Certification Management System
- Manage SERI’s relationships with application developers
- Ensure security and integrity of the system are maintained
- Train recyclers, auditors, and other users of the system
- Identify, plan, and manage new capabilities and enhancements
- Provide Level 2 application support to users
- Manage troubleshooting and technical issues
- Become an expert on the certification management system software
- Provide systems administration of Office 365 for SERI users
- Build solutions for SERI staff using the Office 365 suite
- Support SERI’s SalesForce application which includes customization and automation of workflows
- Troubleshoot issues
- Develop and implement automation and improvements
- System administration and security
- Support SERI staff with desktop management
- Provide security implementation and monitoring of anti-virus, malware, and other best practices for SERI staff.
- Be a visionary to innovate technology to deliver SERI’s mission
- Continue to integrate data from various sources to demonstrate SERI’s Impact on Sustainable Reuse and Recycling of Electronics
- Minimal travel is estimated at 2 weeks per year.
The ideal candidate is an independent, self-starter with both a technical aptitude and business analysis acumen, who likes a mix of hands on problem solving and system administration work, with planning, management, and technical assistance for others. Candidates will likely have 5 – 10 years’ experience in a related IT profession. A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred. This position requires independent work communications through phone, email, texting, instant message, etc. A strong, independent and passionate person, with work discipline is needed to be successful in our organization. The candidate will possess many of the following specific skills/attributes:
- Database administration: reporting, importing and exporting data, modifying objects/fields/attributes/forms/logic in system, data cleansing
- Able to administer and support Office 365, SharePoint, SalesForce, Websites, and Chainpoint.
- Desktop application support including Office, Windows, Mac, Anti-Virus, VPN, and security software.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
- Solid understanding of data normalization
Business Analysis Skills
- Aptitude for analytical thinking, coupled with ability to act creatively and quickly as required to solve problems.
- Requirements analysis – working with process owners to translate needs into database functionality, including requirements to pass along to the product supplier.
- Testing to confirm the solution met the requirements they help develop
- Data analysis – going beyond the raw reports from the system to produce views that highlight key business metrics and insights. This might include using external tools like Tableau or Power BI, as well as Excel.
- Ability to integrate IT with business processes
- Ability to customize software features to automate workflows and functions
- Light website development skills using built-in tools and html