Overview of the Position:
The Asia Regional Director is responsible for the development and implementation of SERI programs in the Asia Region. The individual selected as the Asia Regional Director will serve as SERI’s primary representative in the Asia Region, engaging in activities to promote the environmentally-sound management of used electronics such as expanding adoption of the R2 standard. As the organization’s lead in the Asia Region, this position will educate different stakeholder groups, monitor and, if appropriate, participate in policy development activities, provide guidance for the application and implementation of the standard, and develop and support demonstration and partnership projects that promote SERI’s objectives. It is imperative that this person can professionally represent SERI and build the organization’s mission and effectiveness in Asia.
SERI currently has a staff of five employees, as well as a few consultants. The staff and consultants are all based in different parts of the United States and Canada. The successful candidate will be independent and comfortable working in this “virtual” organization, and working some non-traditional hours as is necessary to communicate with people in different time zones and parts of the world. This position offers some flexibility in work hours provided the job functions and interaction with others can be successfully performed. However, travel will be necessary and sometimes on nights and weekends.
Work from home is necessary with adequate work space, Internet and phone connectivity to perform the job. This is a full-time position for the right candidate living and working in Asia, preferably in Singapore. This position holder reports directly to SERI’s Executive Director.
Important to this position is the need to have an open mind, measured responses, and a broad understanding of the electronics reuse and recycling industry. Additional experience, training, or knowledge in the R2 Standard is important. This must be learned if not already an expert.
The following outlines the primary areas of responsibility. Additional responsibilities or functions may be required as necessary to support the organization. This position is intended to grow with the growth of SERI’s work in Asia.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders in Asia
- Promote environmentally-sound management strategies and practices for used electronics
- Nurture partnerships with other organizations performing advocacy work in Asia
- Educate about SERI and R2 Certification
- Develop expertise in the issues that face Asia in electronics reuse and recycling
- Familiarize with Asia sub-regional strategy program on used electronics management
- Be present at industry events across countries and regions in Asia
- Work with the following stakeholders – NGOs, regulators, large multi-national businesses, trade organizations, manufacturers, reverse logistics vendors, recyclers, and refurbishers in formal and informal sectors.
- Engage in industry sectors for reverse logistics, IT asset disposition, extended producer responsibility programs for recycling, mobile device repair and resale, refurbishment, data destruction, and recycling
- Be a liaison to stakeholders in Asia for SERI
Education and Outreach
- Present at conferences and meetings
- Train organizations about R2 Certification
- Write articles for SERI’s newsletter and other publications
- Promote SERI’s mission to stakeholders
Oversight of R2 Certification in Asia
- Support SERI’s Quality Program
- Perform Spot Inspections as needed
- Witness Certification Body Audits of R2 prospects
- Conduct investigations into complaints and reasons for non-compliance with R2 Standard
- Moderate travel estimated at 30% is expected mostly in Asia.
- Occasional travel to the United States will be necessary for SERI staff events, training, and SERI Board meetings.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in corporate environmental management or environmental policy and programs (preferably experience with the reuse and recycling). A Bachelor’s Degree is required. This position requires independent work communications through phone, email, texting, instant message, etc. A strong, independent person, with work discipline is needed to be successful in this organization. The candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following specific skills/attributes:
Knowledge/Experience with the electronics reuse and recycling industry
- A working knowledge of the electronics reuse/recycling industry.
- Understanding of the environmental, health, safety, data security and issues relevant to the industry.
- Understanding of the technologies, methods, and market forces at play in the industry.
- Understanding of the various players in the industry, including their unique interests, concerns, and challenges, particularly as they relate to advancing SERI’s mission.
- Understanding of the geographic and cultural challenges and opportunities inherent in the industry, particularly as they relate to advancing SERI’s mission in the Asia Pacific region.
Strong Communication Skills Demonstrated in a Variety of Contexts
- Fluent in the English language with proficiency in at least one of the languages of the Asia Pacific region
- Excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Experience in multi-stakeholder groups, building consensus to achieve common goals.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information about the R2 Standard in a less technical manner to various audiences to educate and influence policy makers, industry leaders and other constituents in forums such as conferences, trade shows, symposiums, policy meetings, etc.
- Aptitude for forging and maintaining fruitful relationships of trust and collaboration with key audiences and stakeholders.
Personal Qualities Essential to Success at SERI
- Passion for the SERI mission and vision
- Highest level of integrity
- Lots of energy
- Sense of humor
Other knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to obtain Visas and travel in all countries.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized with the ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Effectively applies critical thinking to understand and solve problems, makes well thought-out decisions to quickly and positively create results
- Supports SERI’s mission, vision and values through project and team work
An attractive compensation package will be provided to the successful candidate commensurate with education and/or experience. SERI provides some matching funds for retirement. Additional medical, dental or other insurance benefits are not available directly through a SERI sponsored plan, but may be available through an arrangement with a Professional Employment Organization (PEO) of SERI’s choice.
Please submit resume and a cover letter to Patty Osterberg of SERI: Patty@SustainableElectronics.org